To modify the scientific method for lower grades, I would do it as a whole class instead of groups. I would start off by giving students some background knowledge (e.g., read a book aloud). I would then ask them question and have them come up with an "educated guess". I would simplify the terms and provide more pictures as well as make the experiments more hands-on. To analyze the data and communicate the results, I would do that as a class. Overall, the whole thing would be more guided. Based on our race car experiment today, I learned that it is more effective when I give students a time limit on their experiments. I also learn that it is good to give students an overview of the activity and the objectives of the day.
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Scientific Method Modification
To modify the scientific method for lower grades, I would do it as a whole class instead of groups. I would start off by giving students some background knowledge (e.g., read a book aloud). I would then ask them question and have them come up with an "educated guess". I would simplify the terms and provide more pictures as well as make the experiments more hands-on. To analyze the data and communicate the results, I would do that as a class. Overall, the whole thing would be more guided. Based on our race car experiment today, I learned that it is more effective when I give students a time limit on their experiments. I also learn that it is good to give students an overview of the activity and the objectives of the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Emily,
ReplyDeleteGood write up about the need to scaffold instruction to meet the needs of your students. Understanding the comprehension level of your students is a critical component to instruction.
Dr. Gautreau